Modan Publishing House was established in 1970 and since then we have published more than 7,000 books. Headquartered in the village of Ben Shemen, Modan maintains an average production rate of 20 titles per month. Being one of the 3 biggest publishers in Israel, our annual turnover currently exceeds $ 15 M, with 67 full-time employees on our staff.
About The Modan Group
Modan Publishing House is part of the Modan Group of Companies, a well established family business spanning the fields of Publishing, Technology, and Retail.
Modan is one of the three owners of Tzomet – the second largest bookstore chain in Israel, with 95 stores nationwide.
In addition, the Modan Group wholly owns the largest Computer and IT retail network in Israel – BUG MultiSystem (www.bug.co.il) with 76 stores in prime locations nationwide.
1) Editorial Department- with editors, coordinators and proof-readers, in addition to freelance editors and translators.
2) Graphic Department - includes 8 highly skilled graphic artists. All graphics and pre-production are performed in-house.
3) Print Production and Manufacturing Department
4) Distribution- Modan is proud of it´s exclusive marketing and distribution system. We sell our books to almost every possible point of sale in the country.
Marketing and consumption
Among our clients are: • Book stores • ´Tzomet Sfarim´ Bookstore Chain. Modan owns one third of this second largest bookstore chain in Israel, with 90 stores throughout the country. • Steimatzky – 150 stores throughout the country • Independent book stores and literally every bookstore in Israel, including the smallest stores and neighborhood stores. • Food chains • Drugstore chains • Gas station convenient stores • Office-Supplies Chains • Toy shops • Shops and marketing chains in the ultra-orthodox sector
We publish books from many different genres, including:
- Prose (literary and commercial fiction) - Nonfiction - Cookbooks (a complete market dominance) - Children and teenager books - Psychology books ("Psyche" library is the largest psychology book series in Israel) - Music books (an estimated 90% of the market) - Schoolbooks and textbooks - Travel Guides - Album-like gift books - Special books for the ultra-orthodox sector
Literary Fiction Modan is known for its high-quality translated titles. Among our list of translated literary fiction there are distinguished authors such as Cormac McCarthy, Jeffrey Eugenides, Julian Barnes, Nobel Prize Winner Herta Muller, Philip Meyer, George Simenon, Tom Woolf, Stefan Zweig and Yan Martel.
Commercial Fiction Our commercial fiction collection includes works of writers such as Ken Follett, John Irving, Jeffery Archer, Lisa See, Paullina Simons, Jennifer Weiner and Kim Edwards. In the Crime fiction genre, Modan’s diverse list of acclaimed and bestselling authors includes Stieg Larsson, Dan Brown, John Grisham, Michael Connelly, Camilla L?ckberg, Tom Clancy, David Baldacci, James Patterson, James Rollins and Clive Cussler.
Nonfiction Our nonfiction titles includes Steve Jobs’ biography by Walter Isaacson, as well as Anti-Cancer by Dr. David Servan-Schreiber, Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand, Bob Dylan’s autobiography Chronicles, and titles by renowned authors such as Amy Chua (Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother), Deepak Chopra and Michael Pollan.
Children’s and Young Adults Our list includes The 39 Clues adventure novels, The History Keepers, as well as the famous Maurice Sendak, Arnold Lobel, Anthony Browne and Eric Carle. Children’s Licensing Modan is Nickelodeon’s publishing licensee in Israel for cartoon icons Dora, Diego, and Spongebob.
Cookbooks As the leading publisher for cookbooks In Israel, Modan Is the publisher of Jamie Oliver, Claudia Roden and a wide range of bestsellers by famous Israeli chefs.